The role of the manufacturer today is more demanding as data and models are expected to be supplied for a project. Every manufacturer and fabricator of products for the construction industry should be aware of how the implementation of BIM by its customers opens opportunities for increased specification and product inclusion within projects.
What is BIM?
BIM stands for Building Information Modelling and is a 3D-modeling process that enables architecture, engineering, and construction professionals to conceptualise, design, and build with intelligent, data-driven insights and efficiencies. The implementation of BIM creates opportunities for increased specification and product inclusion within projects by virtue of simplicity.
Across the supply chain BIM comes with both a pressure and a motivation to adopt. The pressure is based on the government having mandated the use of BIM in any government-sponsored project and this has impacted the whole construction industry. It has done so mainly because BIM makes sense.
What’s your BIM strategy?
Creating BIM content files alone does not mean that manufacturers will profit from BIM. It’s critical that manufacturers develop a strategy that ultimately brings them closer to their customers and improves their service offering. A winning BIM strategy may include elements such as:
- Developing industry leading BIM content and data.
- Providing dedicated BIM support services to architects, designers and contractors.
- This may include offering new BIM related design services or just having someone in-house who can answer technical questions.
- Developing apps for BIM software itself in order to make product selection easier
- Hosting BIM data on leading product library platforms
- Linking BIM with the manufacturing processes to improve delivery
- Training sales teams on the topic of BIM for them to start opening the door for projects
- Training marketing teams to develop campaigns that generate regular specification leads
To learn more about BIM, we recommend that you download our free BIM for Manufacturers white paper:
BIM for Manufacturers 2017 Report
Excitech BIM Services for Manufacturers
Our services are designed to help you compete and win in the BIM world. These include:
- Consultancy Services: We can help you understand the intricacies of BIM, advising on project tenders, project delivery, component and system content creation as well as BIM project execution plans.
- Software and support: As an Autodesk Platinum Partner and accredited partner of the leading AEC software vendors, we can fulfil all your software needs.
- Training: We help you develop the professional competencies of your staff. Our industry-experienced, Autodesk Certified, skilled Application Specialists and Trainers bring many years of experience covering product and industry insights.
- Outsourcing: Our team of experts can support you in the creation of BIM content and support you on project specific requirements.
Call 01992 807 444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on available BIM content creation services for product manufacturers.
BIM Content Creation
There’s an art and a science in developing high quality BIM content for use in construction projects. Excitech consultants can work with you in one of two ways to help you meet the demands of your organisation in the shortest timeframe:
- Outsourced BIM content creation - For a swift and efficient turnaround of your specified products into BIM-compliant format we can gather the information from you and create the necessary BIM content on your behalf. Our consultants can develop Revit families, ArchiCAD objects and SketchUp models.
- In-house skills development - Alternatively, our consultants can impart the necessary skills and knowledge to your in-house teams via workshop and training sessions. We will provide full training in the practices and principles of BIM, together with training on the essential skills to enable you to produce the necessary data assets in-house.
See our related Revit family creation training courses:
Revit Architecture Family Creation training
Revit MEP Family Creation training
Revit Structure Family Creation training
How good is your BIM content?
Excitech offer a free BIM content audit for organisations looking to improve and optimise their content. Simply upload the family using the form below and our consultant will provide you with feedback and tips on how to improve it.